Look Around

Saturday, January 12

Home, Sweet Home?

What is it about our home that we love to hate and hate to love?


Today, I returned to college from a long, needed winter break. Scrolling through my numerous social media sites, I noticed something. Friends who have not yet gone back to school saying things like, "Take me back to school please" or "I need to get out of my house, I'm so bored." Yet, people who have been at school for just a week saying, "Not ready for this semester, take me back home, please." Seems as though we can never find a balance between the desire for newness, adventure and the  comfort of home.


Monotony and boredom. While we hate those aspects of returning to the places we grew up, in reality, there is much we appreciate about our homes. The familiar faces, the way you know at exactly 7:19 AM the old Indian man will pass by your house on his daily morning walk as you are leaving for school, the smells that spark vivid memories, passing by locations and remembering an event that happened there. Knowing an area like the back of your hand is so meaningful. The thought of a person never feeling connected to an area in this way always makes me sad. There is truly nowhere like home.


Just something I've been thinking about. Can a perfect equilibrium ever be achieved?

2 comments: